Learning with Strawbees
Engage students with bridge-building, mechanical arms, egg drop challenges, and more.
Pieces are color-coded to make it easy to follow the included lesson plans. The kit can also be used straight out of the box for open-ended building.
Connectors and straws are reusable, so when you’re finished building, you can disassemble and start a new project.
Students can practice problem-solving skills through building and modifying increasingly complex structures.
Strawbees kits are supported by an online learning platform that was developed with input from teachers and offers lesson plans that include:
- Recommended activities for skill development
- Guiding questions to enhance learning
- Ideas for shepherding group dynamics and team learning
- Assessment tools
While Strawbees lesson plans can be used as-is, they also invite innovation. Each lesson is designed to be agile and Strawbees wholeheartedly encourages creative adaptations of the curriculum. Strawbees lesson plans are meant to be informed starting points for you to meet the unique needs and interests of each child and class. Try new things, build on these ideas, and share what you discover!
Collection of suggested activities to help you get started building with Strawbees construction and guides for Quirkbot and the micro:bit.
Build the Platonic Solids
Build the shapes that have intrigued philosophers, mathematicians and scientists for centuries.
Create a Robot Racer
Build a robot that walks and then try to make it run.
Build a Robotic Crane with BBC micro:bit
Use the Robotic Inventions for micro:bit to automate the mechanical movements of a crane.
Join our online Playinars and future courses to become fully trained in our educational pedagogy.
We also provide the tools for engaging coding experience. Our coding platform Strawbees CODE features three ways of programming:
- Flow programming
- Block programming (powered by MIT Scratch)
- Arduino Text programming
We are the only company providing 3 different approaches for coding, allowing endless progression possibilities.
“It was one of my most fun days in school!”
If kids have fun in school with Strawbees we make your job a little easier, don’t we! Imagine a classroom with not only one but 30 different robots!
A 9-year old Swedish pupil writes in her essay: ‘this was one of my most fun days in school ever!!’ Strawbees was made with kids and made for kids! Our mission is to let kids create by giving them engaging and creative tools to solve the problems of tomorrow! Moments like these are priceless and so rewarding.
STEAM Learning for the classroom and beyond
Designed for engaging cross-curricular lessons, packed full of fun activities and helpful assessment tools all to be adapted to your specific classroom needs. Creative and collaborative learning in all classrooms, libraries and after school programs. Flexible group sizes for engaging 10-40 students.
Start building and experiencing!
We take Purchase Orders!
Do you want to place an order with us? Great! You can send us your PO number via our checkout or over email and we will send you the invoice. We accept wire-transfers, PayPal and credit cards. For orders above $600 we also accept checks.
Join our Facebook community and see what others are up to around the world!
- MIT Prof. Mitchel Resnick on Kindergarten style of education, creative learning spiral, and challenges in managing the classroom
- Invention Literacy by Jay Silver of Joylabz
- Learning by Trying - Creative Conference Talk by Erik Thorstensson, the inventor and co-founder of Strawbees
- Pedagogical Perspective on Tinkering and Making by Edith Ackermann
- All I Really Need to Know (About Creative Thinking) I Learned (By Studying How Children Learn) in Kindergarten
- Why Spatial Reasoning Is Crucial For Early Math Education
- THE POWER OF PLAY A Research Summary on Play and Learning by Dr. Rachel E. White for Minnesota Children’s Museum